Thursday, August 13, 2009

Homemade Banana Chips~Happy Krishnashtami!!

Wishing you all a very Happy Krishnashtami!!

I find it strange that many people celebrate this festival on different dates.I hear,in North it is celebrated tomorrow and in Kerala it is in September.Lucky Krishna,gets to celebrate His birthday so many times in a year..:).As I’ve mentioned before,Krishnashtami is celebrated in full fun and fervor in our place since we stay quite close to a Krishna temple and we have poojas at home as well.I am missing it all this year too..sigh!!

Last week,we celebrated "Suthan Punnav",or "Avani avittom" as it is commonly known as.It is a yearly ceremony of changing the sacred thread-"Jannave/poonnool".We celebrated it a day later[On Thursday],the day we reached Ekm.Amma had made typical Konkani festival fare.We had Hittu,Soi bhajil ghashi &Surna Adgai for breakfast and Dudhiya alchikeri&Kellya ambat for lunch.We celebrate Rakhi/Raksha bandhan on the same day so some more goodies were on the cards..:)

Ashtami/Krishnashtami is one festival where sisters have special preference.We have a custom called "Phallar divche",which is basically a gift for the married sister by the brother[s].It is given to the sister few days before Ashtami.Usually,the phallar contains homegrown vegetables,fruits and then some sweets and yes,money for the sister.Amma makes sure she packs her home made goodies along with the phallar.The main attraction is no doubt,her Banana chips.Tastes simply superb and this time,I made sure I helped her out with the preparation.

I did much more than taking the pics,I swear!!

Banana Chips

Ingredients


Raw Banana[Naadan nendrapazham] – 2 kg
Coconut oil – 1 litre
Salt – 4 tbsp
Haldi – 1 tbsp
Water-as required

Method

Wash and peel the bananas.Keep them in a bowl of water to which a tbsp haldi is added-this prevents the bananas from getting sticky.


Wipe them dry with a kitchen towel and keep aside.
Mix haldi and salt-add 3-4 tbsps of water and make a thin paste.


In a kadai,add oil and wait till it becomes hot.
Using a mandoline,slice the bananas directly into the hot oil.[Or slice it very thin using a sharp knife].
Stir once so that they don’t stick together-but don’t keep stirring or else it will become oily.
Add 1-2 tbsps of haldi-salt water into the oil.
Keep the flame on high and wait till the chips become yellow and crispy.

Drain them into absorbent paper.
Let cool and then store in an airtight container.
Crunch and munch..!!


39 comments :

  1. Wow yummy looking kellya balook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love banana chips and have eaten the fresh ones at a friends wedding. Will attempt to make them as soon as I gather enough courage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so crispy, divya...thanks for this authentic recipe..can it be made with other oils, too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow ur chips fantatastic & ur way of presenting stage by stage is superb .........Great..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This when homemade so thinly makes me snack on them non-stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divya
    This looks awefully yummy, authentic and yet simple. I am surely going to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow banana chips look so crispy and perfect! The use of mandoline gives thin chips that turn more crispy. Happy Krishnashtami :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice crisp chips!I remember the first time I ate in Bangalore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kela Kachari looks yum & crispy...Home made ones are the best & with moms love in it.. more tasty, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Divya, the step by step pictorial is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked the step by step presentation of yours! :) The chips look crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. chips looks very crispy and paper thin..the first picture itself shows that the chips were made by experienced pair of hands.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. they look so delicate and crunchy! this is my fave, needless to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum, yum! looks like store-bought chips!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my god. you know how to make banana chips at home!!!!!! WOW!!
    those look so thin and crisp!btw, u are awarded!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely step by step presentation. I love these chips and really can hog on them.
    Hey, I am missing you at my blog do find time to drop by, it's been quite some time now..

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have always liked these but never tried making them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is exactly how my mom makes,except the haldi,i will try adding haldi to salt next time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Janmashtami to you too Divya..

    And your banana chips make me homesick...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Divya,Uve some awards from my blog..Just wanted to remind u!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Missed so many of your posts! Chips look too good and perfect color Divya

    ReplyDelete
  22. Belated festive greetings Divya, and advance greetings for Ganesh Chathurthi. :)
    Your post makes me hungry for these gorgeous chips. We get them here but not as thin as they're made at home or the KR Bakes variety. :(
    I can't even get these plantains here!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chips looks crispy Divya. Wish to have some.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow looking so good and home made are always the best.. looks so perfect and wish i could get the whole batch of the chips.

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for the comments it is always nice to know there are others that appreciate the same things that I do!Im sure im just repeating what u ahve heard many times...U Have a Super Blog....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Divya,
    congrats.
    Passing on the Kreativ Blogger award to you. Pl coolect it from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was wondering how you got those chips so thin, then I saw that you used a mandoline :) Must've been so crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think these are everyone's fav :) looks crispy and crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow.. wonderful.. looks crispy & awesome..nice clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  30. hey chips look weonderful..its good that you have posted step by step pics too..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks beautiful crispy and delicious at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi.. me just newbie in this blogging world and have been fan of your blogs..so when I received this award I just thought of passing this to you as I really love your blogs !!
    So do collect your award @ my blog.. Congrats !!

    ReplyDelete
  33. wooo its just perfect divya...what a nice colour u hae got...perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Please accept a gift from my blog dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. you have lot of patience to take step by step pictures dear .
    looks delicious dear!!
    pls accept a gift from my blog dear

    ReplyDelete
  36. First time here. Wow...those banana chips...perfectly look as vendors sold on street. I remember very well...when I visited Trivendram...we had enjoyed freshly made Banana chips made by street vendor.
    Your chips looks so crispy and nice.
    (sevenspice.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover