Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Channe Ghashi with Soi bhajil masol

One of the common items in all Konkani homes for Ugadi or any other festival would be channe ghashi.As I posted in my last entry,there are various curries which can be prepared with one masol ie soi bhajil masol.This ghashi is one of them.In fact,many households in Kerala prepare this masol just before Ugadi and use it until the next one.I too have prepared masol just before Ugadi,but of course in smaller quantities.

At home,this was a regular ghashi.All of us like it so much that amma never used to wait for festivals to make this ghashi.When I ventured to make it first,I was nervous to say the least.My hubby is not used to this masol and I was not sure whether he would like it or not.But thank God,he loved it.In fact,at home we eat it with anything-polo/dosa,idli/khotto,rice etc etc.Try it once and I am sure you will ask for more.Lets make channe ghashi now..

Channe ghashi with soi bhajil masol

Ingredients


Brown channa/chickpeas - 150 gms
Surnu/Yam - a small piece(about 50 gms)
Drumstick - 2-3
Cashewnuts - 1 tbsp(optional)
Darmbhe sol/Kudampuli OR tamarind - 1 big channa size
Soi bhajil masol - 3-4 tbsp mixed with a little water to make a paste
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

Method

Soak the channa overnight and pressure cook till done.
Add surnu/yam,drumsticks,cashewnuts,darmbhe sol/tamarind,salt and keep on flame again till 2-3 whistles.
Add the soi bhajil masol to the cooked channa-vegetables.
Let it boil,keep on low heat for about 5 minutes.
Drizzle coconut oil on top and close the lid.
Mix well just before serving.
Enjoy with idli,rice or just like that!!

10 comments :

  1. Different curry..Havent heard of this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm....looks nice :) By the way what is soi bhajil masol?

    ReplyDelete
  3. different from what we make at home. i can almost smell and taste the roasted coconut u used in this gashi:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. different from the traitional gashi loved the combi..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this combination of vegetables, Thanks for introducing me to gashi's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divya,Homecooked,Sia,Smn,Ms-thank you!!

    Homecooked,have given a link to soi bhajil masol post,check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New dish 4 me, sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my all time Fav curry! Can eat by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew there was a Kerala Konkani sect as well, until I read your soi bhajil masol! My husband is Konkani too. His family comes from Mangalore & Kumta region of Karnataka though he was born & raised in Mumbai. The channe ghashi looks yum! I love the flavor drumsticks add to any dish.

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover