Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting


Hubby is not too fond of sweets and baked stuff hence I was in a soup as to what to prepare for his bday.Moong dal payasam,Biscuit pudding and Vanilla cupcakes are among very few stuff that he enjoys having.Since all those have been made and had to glory,I was thinking of something else to make on this special day.Yup,its his birthday today and no birthday is complete without a cake.When I asked him his choice he told me to make anything which I find easy.How boring!! I wish someone would ask me..I have so many demands..;-)!!

I had hurriedly written down the recipe for this cake while watching Lakshmi Nair’s cookery show on TV.In fact,I was busy in the kitchen when hubby said-Div..your chef is making a cake today.I remember,I had scribbled down the recipe on a newspaper and later struggled a lot to figure out what exactly was it that I had written.Then I saw a very similar recipe in my friend’s blog.Even though I did not have many choices to make when it came to baking a cake-since I always take the easier route and bake something e-a-s-y;-),I decided on making this one.

Cake making experience - First of all,let me salute those who decorate/frost their cake with ease.As for myself,I ran into major disaster while frosting.[It didn't affect the taste though:)].I cut the cake into two and was about to place it on the serving plate and the top half just got cut,one whole piece was in my hand and one was in the plate.I struggled a lot to keep it in place,but it has a mind of its own.If you look carefully,you can make out that the lower portion of the cake looks pathetic.To top it all,I tried to write on it,which again,I think looks bad.Anyway,I'm sure hubby wont mind-its the thought which counts right?So here it is-Chocolate Cake with Fudge frosting for my dear darling hubby who celebrates his birthday today!!


Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting

Ingredients


Maida/Flour – 1 ½ cups
Baking powder – 2 ½ tsp
Cocoa Powder – 2 ½ tbsp
Butter – ½ cup + 1 tbsp
Powdered sugar – 1 ½ cups
Water – 1 cup
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Eggs – 2

Method

In a pan,add the water,powdered sugar,cocoa powder,butter and baking soda.
Keep stirring the mix till the sugar dissolves and the butter melts.
Let it come to a rolling boil,then simmer for 5 minutes,keep stirring all the while.
Transfer this mix to another bowl,let it cool to room temperature.
Sift together maida and baking powder.
Add the eggs to the cooled cocoa mix and beat well.
In low speed[of the electric mixer],gradually add the maida and make a smooth lump-free batter.
Pour the batter into a greased cake tin and bake till done.
[Preheat oven on 180*C and bake for 40-45 minutes].
Let it cool completely before frosting.

For the Fudge Frosting

Ingredients

Powdered sugar – ½ cup
Butter – 50 gms
Water – 2 tbsp
Icing sugar – ¾ cup
Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp

Method

In a pan add the water,powdered sugar and butter.
Stir till the sugar and butter melts.
Sift together icing sugar and cocoa powder.
Gradually mix both taking care not to form lumps.
Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Beat well with a spoon and pour over the cake.

Refrigerate and serve chilled.

Verdict - The cake tasted excellent and was very moist too.Except for that collapsed part,everything was fine.I loved the chocolatey flavour and I'll definitely make this again,though I'm not sure how am gonna deal with the frosting job;-).And yeah,Bday boy loved it and had as many as 3 slices-something very rare!!

Thanks to all of you for your birthday wishes.Love you all!!

20 comments :

  1. happy birthday to Ajay. The cake looks lovely... I don't what "pathetic" stuff you're talking about.

    I agree... icing a cake is never easy for me... but you look like a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet of you girl! Delectable looking cake.
    He is a sweet heart too, didn't demand anything from you.Tell him I said that and of course a very happy Birthday to him from me! :))
    God bless both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Many Happy Returns to Ajay. Div, u hv done an awesome job ...easy??? Oh this is surely a skilled job ya! Loved the beautiful n perfect piping, so shapely too!
    Hv a great day!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me it looks delicious...wish u would invite me to the bday party to take a bite off this beauty..wishing a happy bday to ur hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy B'day to your hubby. Cake looks delicious and I think you decorated it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birthday wishes to ur better Half DIvya...thats a prefect n gorgeous cake to celebrate.love the frosting...MArvellous cake indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy b'day to him!wish i could have a piece of that cake tooo..hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Divya,the cake doesn't look pathetic in the least.In fact Slurrrpilicious is what I would call it!!You've inspired me to make sumthing similar now!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cake looks too pretty Div! Your frosting is far better than mine! belated wishes to ur husband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate u make me crave for some pieces! Happy Birthday to him! The frosting is absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So chocolatee divya! Cake looks lovely..! I'm drooling over the fudge frosting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, you can send this choco delight to Poornima's "For the Love of chocolate" @ http://poornimastastytreats.blogspot.com/2009/03/announcing-for-love-of-chocolate_15.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy B'day to Ajay!! Divya, the cake looks awesome dear!! I loved the piping, it has come out really well. Though you've mentioned about the cutting disaster, I think you managed it very well :) Really good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey dear, forgot to say, thanks a lot for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Birthday wishes to your hubby. I think the cake looks very nice. I especially liked the piping a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Divya!!

    Thanks for the kind words!! Happy Birthday to Ajay. The cake looks simply yummie..:))
    Happy Gudi Padwa!!

    Cheerz!
    Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is defenitely something to die for!! Happy Birthday to Ajay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated happy birthday to your husband Divya. Cake looks yummy. I was thinking to say you to send to poornimas event, but sangi ahsd already informed you.Great job dear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow you have some really cool cakes here - you're quite the baker. not sure if i'm up to the challenge of icing as yet!! first have to get the cake right!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that is a wonderful cake. Hats off to you..great effort :) I too had the same experience with frosting!

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover