Monday, May 12, 2008

Channe ghashi - Mangalore style

At times,its quite funny when you think about the changes marriage has bought to your life.Its not the change in its actual meaning of the word..but..change it is!!Its amazing how you start thinking about 'US' and not 'I'.In our case,both me and my hubby are the youngest kids in our respective families.I think that has helped us quite a bit,both of us are used to taking orders from our elder siblings and being pampered by them;-)so we didn't have much problems adjusting to each other..!!We often talk about being strangers years ago and now part of each other's lives.We might have crossed paths before,maybe..who knows!!

Anyway I am drifting away too much from the topic..what I wanted to say was the way my eating habits have changed.My amma is so surprised when I tell her I had papaya for breakfast,or had channe ghashi and beans pachadi for lunch,pej/kanji and bea upkari for dinner..!!I was a fussy eater at home.Amma used to think twice before preparing anything thinking whether I would eat it or not.I did not like most of the vegetables,fruits were only had when I had the 'mood' and food was gobbled up as it was some duty to fulfill.I feel very very bad that I behaved that way when I was young,feel very sorry for amma.


I realized my folly after marriage,whatever I cooked was a tasteless mass for me and I really really missed my amma's food.It is after I started cooking on my own that I took cooking,taste and ingredients that go into it seriously.Now I like most of the vegetables,feel upset if hubby does not eat anything I made and get angry if food is untouched on his plate;-)A long intro for today's post,without further ado I will post the recipe.

Channe ghashi - Mangalore style

Ingredients

Brown channa/Bengal gram/Chickpeas - 200 gms
Drumsticks - 2,cut into 2' size
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Roasted red chillies - 6(mix of normal and byadgi chillies)
Tamarind - 1 small piece,channa size

For the seasoning

Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig

Method

Soak the channa overnight or for 6 hours and cook in a pressure cooker till soft and well cooked.
Cook the drumsticks seperately till tender,add to the channa.
Make a smooth paste of coconut,red chillies and tamarind using enough water.
Add it to the channa-drumstick,salt to taste and bring to boil.
Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Prepare seasoning in a frying pan with oil,splutter mustard seeds and jeera,add curry leaves.
Add the seasoning to the boiling curry.
Serve hot with rice.

Also check out my Channe ghashi-Kerala style prepared with Soi bhajil masol.

6 comments :

  1. Hi Divya...
    This is nice curry... looks so good... healthy curry...Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Channa Ghassi Looks yum! A fAv at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. curry looks delicious..Even I eat veggies I never touched before marriage

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hv kept soi ready..bhajjuche matra baaki..its my whanni's fave she said..so hv to try that out..wow..chanya gashi wt drumstick..hmm..i hv had it with potatoes or surnu...hey I agree on ur article been there too..post marriage started eating all..partly may b due to 'mai kya sochegi' but beet,karela etc which alws met my wrinkled nose at amma's found a foodie in me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sukanya,thank you!!

    Seema,thank you!!Our favorite too!!

    Uma,thank you!!

    Divya,thank you!!Same here!!

    Purnima,thank you!!Very true!!

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover