Thursday, April 10, 2008

Idli with coconut chutney#2

As I said in my earlier Idli post,I follow two different methods for idli batter,one is my amma's method and another is my ma-in-laws'.On Ugadi day I made idli with chutney and I followed ma-in-laws method this time.There's no major difference as such.The idlies turned out to be soft and fluffy,but they were granule idlies(as my hubby says).The idli batter is to be ground to a coarse paste,till you get a sooji/rava consistency.

Chennai summer has begun and its so bad that you keep wondering why you are in Chennai and not in some cool place.The only silver lining is that the idli batter ferments so well,curds set so fast and you can make lovely odi/wadi,kondattam and summer preserves.I am going to start making all those summer goodies soon..!!But for now,the idli...

Idli

Ingredients


Idli rice - 2 cups
Urad dal - 1 cup
Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Jeera - 1 tsp

Method

Soak idli rice and urad dal seperately for about 3-4 hours.
Soak methi seeds along with urad dal.
Wash the urad dal well and grind to a smooth paste.
Wash the rice as well and grind to a coarse paste till you get a sooji/rava consistency.Do not add much water while grinding.
Mix both the batters,add salt to taste.
Sprinkle some jeera on top and let it ferment well overnight(about 8-10 hours).

Next day,prepare idlies.
Serve with coconut chutney..!!

Coconut chutney

Ingredients


Grated coconut - 1/2 of one coconut
Green chillies - 2
Ginger - a small piece
Tamarind - a small piece(about the size of a channa)
Salt to taste
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig

Method

Grind together coconut,green chillies,ginger,tamarind and salt to a smooth paste adding required water.Do not add too much water.
Transfer to a serving bowl.
Prepare seasoning in a frying pan with oil,mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Pour it into the chutney and serve.

9 comments :

  1. Wow idlis looks delicious.. chutney too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. All time favorite. Love idli and coocnut chutney combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idlis look so soft and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the idlies look soft divya..love idlies

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idli looks so soft and fluffy. How do you manage to get that milk-white color? Mine always has that creamish color to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anjali,Shriya,Dhivya,Homecooked,Divya,Red chillies-thank you.

    Red chillies-mine really look milk white huh..??I always feel that they are creamish..!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lucky girl ! I wish my idli/dosa ferments lavishly like yours :( ...

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover