Friday, March 21, 2008

Idli with coconut chutney

Update - This is the recipe for idli batter I followed when I used my Mixie to grind the batter.The proportions differ while grinding in a wet grinder.

I am always amazed when people say,"idli..??noooo".I wonder why people disliked such a tasty and wholesome breakfast.At my place,Idli was an all time favourite.My amma makes yummy idlies..so soft,spongy and tasty.That's how I developed a taste for idlies.Idli with Sambhar and Chutney was the ultimate combo for breakfast.My ma-in-law on the other hand makes a different type of idli,tasty nevertheless!!She makes those granules type idlies which are melt-in-the-mouth types but has a granule texture to it.The difference lies in the batter,while my amma's batter is ground to a very fine paste,ma-in-laws' batter is ground to a suji/rava type consistency.No favouritism here..I love both!!;-)

When it comes to my batter,well..I follow both methods alternatively;-).This time I chose amma's type of idlies.There were no enough veggies to go into a Sambhar,so served them with just coconut chutney.


Idli

Raw rice - 1 cup
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Fenugreek/Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Salt to taste

Method

Soak rice and urad dal seperately for at least 4 hrs.
Soak the methi along with urad dal.
Grind urad dal to a smooth paste adding water little by little.
Similarly,grind rice to a smooth paste adding little water.
Mix both the batters well,add salt to taste.
Kep the batter for fermenting overnight.
This batter can be used for making idlies,as well as dosas.
If you are living in a cold climate and the batter did not rise well,do not make idlies because they will be very hard.Make dosas instead.
If the batter has risen well,mix the batter very lightly.
Take greased idli moulds and pour the batter into each mould filling only 3/4 of the mould.
Steam for about 15-20 minutes.
Wait for it to cool down a bit before taking them off from the moulds.
Steaming hot idlies are ready to be savoured!!!

P.S-In Kerala there is a saying which goes "thumbapoo polathe idli" meaning,idlies which look like a flower.To this date I don't know why idlies are compared to a flower and in what way they could be similar.But today when I saw the photos of idlies,I thought they looked like a flower..what say??;-)

Coconut chutney

Ingredients

Grated coconut - 1/2 of one coconut
Roasted red chilles - 6(3 byadgi chillies and 3 normal ones)
Tamarind - size of a channa/bengal gram/chickpea
Salt to taste
For seasoning-
Coconut oil-1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Hing/asafoetida(optional) - a pinch

Grind coconut,chillies and tamarind together till smooth.Add salt,grind again.
Transfer to a serving bowl.
Prepare seasoning in a pan with oil.
Add mustard seeds,when they start spluttering add curry leaves.
Add hing(if adding) and switch off the flame.
Add the phanna/tadka to the chutney and serve.

12 comments :

  1. Ya sure it looks like a flower and hope it was as soft as a flower!1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice presentation of idlis and can't wait for the coconut chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey divya,this webpage of urs is really nice and the pics look great and yummy too!am gonna try some of ur recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raks Kitchen,thank you.Idlies were soft and fluffy.Do try it out!!

    Dhivya,Jayashree,Kamala,Deepa,Lavanya,Roopa thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Idlis, very soft & fluffy...Sambhar looks yum too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which rice do you use for the idlis??

    ReplyDelete
  7. im a srilankan ..i referdon idlis and most said raw rice : urad dal=3:1 but urs different ..what do u say?

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover