Thursday, July 14, 2011

Kellya Koddel - Raw Banana & Drumstick Curry

IMG_5402
I recently had a mock-argument with a friend of mine regarding Konkani cuisine.Incidentally,the friend happens to be a non-konkani so you can only imagine the my-cuisine-is-better-than-yours debate!She felt that we only cook ghaas-poos and most of our dishes are 'inspired' from other cuisines and we cook only with coconut.I disagreed with her outright,except for the last charge.We can't live with our daily dose of coconut:).


There are so many dishes which i myself am yet to try because Konkani cuisine is so vast and diverse.


More than the recipes itself,I think what makes a difference to the final dish is the way you try it.Many a times I find my m-i-l adding extra ingredients to a particular dish which actually do not feature in the original.This Koddel* is such a dish.The first time I had it,it was with Raw bananas only.Next time with Jackfruit seeds and another time with drumsticks.
IMG_5406
*Koddel is a coconut based curry seasoned with whole garlic cloves.



Kellya Koddel


Ingredients


Raw Banana - 1 medium,sliced into half vertically and then chopped into semi circle pieces
Drumstick - 2-3,cut into 2' pieces
Jackfruit seeds - 4-5,crushed[I did not have it,hence skipped adding it]
Salt to taste


For the Masala
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Roasted red chillies - 4-5[I used the long variety called Byadge]
Tamarind - a small pea size


For seasoning
Oil - 2 tsp
Garlic - 4-5 cloves crushed[with skin]


Method


Cook the banana,drumstick and jackfruit seeds[if using] in just enough water till cooked and soft.
Grind the ingredients given for the masala into a smooth paste.
Add the ground masala and salt to taste and let the curry come to a boil.
Simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes.Add water if the curry is too thick,it should be of pourable consistency.
In a kadai add oil and crushed garlic cloves.Keep the flame on simmer and let the garlic brown.Add to the curry and cover with a lid.
Stir before serving.


Also check out Kulitha Koddel[Horsegram curry] and Maggya Koddel[Colored Cucumber curry].

10 comments :

  1. This is a new sidedish...looks and sounds interesting to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too struggle when I run our of coconut. The recipe sounds nice with garlic and coconut in ingredients. I love those jack fruit seeds on the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all food bloggers do this..arguements abt food n all..even I do that..:)
    Nice gravy..even at my mom's place coconut is very regular but I have reduced it a lot in my daily cooking..love the cooked jackfruit seeds in it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. divya i love bikkand just like this too though it is dangerous for others ;) this one is a twist to normal kele koddel n lovely pic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Raw banana and drumstick combo in currys,luks so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never tried or tasted this before. Nice combination of drumsticks and raw banana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds interesting divya, never thought of this combo.nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty new to me and I guess the jackfruit seed is going to make the curry interesting :) I haven't done anything with it than simply roasting it. Nice curry :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! This is absolutely tempting & yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am Amchi -and glad to see Kelya Koddel- Loved the idea-
    combining the jackfruit seeds (Bikand) also . My wife Sudha & I discussed this .joined your blog seeing this .Many thanks
    rgds

    Thanks TR

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover