Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gova Kanya Paysu ~ Cracked Wheat Payasam

IMG_4056

I am not a big Payasam fan.Yes,I do slurp down the last bit of Paalada from my glass[or the banana leaf in which it is served] and I love amma's Paal payasam,but I actually do not crave for it enough to make it myself.I have not made Payasams that often too.Earlier,the only dessert option for me when we had guests over was Ice-cream or Payasam and I did my share of Semiya Payasams and Instant mix ones.Of course,now I show off my baking skills when it comes to desserts!


Being in Chennai,I miss all those once-a-week-at-least-weddings that happen in Ernakulam.Or the friendly neighbour who makes Payasam because her son got a job/his wife had a kid/or the kid is celebrating her birthday.Very often,when Amma talks about these things,I feel home-sick.It was during such a phone-call with amma that I decided to make this payasam.Amma makes it often at home and it is a favorite with all of us.It made me happy,temporarily at least!!


IMG_4045

Gova Kanya Paysu ~ Cracked Wheat Payasam
Recipe source - Amma


Ingredients


Cracked wheat - 1/4 cup
Milk - 5 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Saffron strands - a few,soaked in warm milk
Nuts - to garnish


Method


In a thick bottom kadai add milk and let it come to a boil.
Mix in the cracked wheat and let it cook till soft[about 25-30 minutes].
Add the sugar and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes.
Mix in the cardamom powder and saffron strands.Garnish with nuts
Serve warm or chilled.

IMG_4060ed


Notes

  • Depending on the cracked wheat,you may require less/more milk.I started with 3 cups milk and added more as the payasam started drying up.
  • You could also cook the cracked wheat in water first and then add milk and sugar.
  • This Payasam tastes best served warm,but if you like,it can be served chilled too.We had it both ways and loved each version.
On a different note,this recipe is featured in the HomeAway.co.uk Travel Cookbook'.


26 comments :

  1. Nice presentation and yummy looking payasam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drool-worthy pictures and a delectable kheer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Divya,

    Cracked wheat payasam is quite new to me. Lovely clicks. Paysu is making me drool.

    Regards,
    Seema
    amchi-bong-konnexion.blogspot.com
    seemabbas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmmm! We make a cracked wheat payasam too. Im sure you've heard of Godhi pradaman. I love it! Im sure this tastes great too. For starts, seems a whole lot easier to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tasted this wheat payasam, simply gorgeous presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never have made payasam with cracked wheat,a must try I think,looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely payasa...payasa is easy to make n good 2 eat...looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how gorgeous! Makes me want to dive right into that bowl! I make a rice payasam in a similar manner. Must try with broken wheat too and also have a feeling brown rice will be good too! Great quick and easy comforting dessert that is yet sophisticated :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the name of this dessert, Divya! Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard a lot about wheat payasam, but never tried that. Clicks are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. O M G please let me have the entire bowl since the payasam is so delicious and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pics...the payasam looks so good...drooling!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delicious. I'm even lesxs of a payasam fan, but I'd gladly take a few bols of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice presentation dear...payasam sounds healthy n delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ummm, if you are in that situation being in Chennai, imagine how I must be feeling! :(

    Payasam looks great! I love payasams :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Payasam looks absolutely wonderful,soo creamy and delectable..

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG what an awesome color. lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know how getting homesick feels! Payasam looks lovely in that bowl Divya.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely! Payasam looks so delicious! Love the presentation!

    Hey i have a spring event with giveaway going on my webpage....last date till 30th March..pls do send some entries.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Healthy Desert !!! I have got an award for you. Please come by and collect it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Divya,

    I have a few awards in my space for you. I would be honored if you picked them up.

    http://amchi-bong-konnexion.blogspot.com/2011/03/100th-post-10000-hits-and-awards-i-am.html

    Regards,
    amchi-bong-konnexion.blogspot.com
    seemabbas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. mmm, the pic makes it seem even more yummy :) i have cracked wheat in my pantry, how about if i use jaggery/molasses? have u tried it that way anytime? i am curious how it wud turn out, do u know if your mom tried it with jaggery? maybe i will try making it and let u know :)....again love the pic ! the background color of the table (?) gives it a royal touch :)

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover