Sunday, September 5, 2010

Onion & Paneer Calzone



A calzone (Italian "stocking" or "trouser") is a turnover that originates from Italy. It is made of ingredients similar to pizza, folded over and shaped like a crescent before being cooked. The typical calzone is stuffed with tomato and mozzarella, and may include other ingredients usually associated with pizza toppings.Source

I remember bookmarking this recipe long back,in fact when Ranjitha posted this quite simultaneously with Aparna with almost the same filling.I was fascinated with this Pizza lookalike and wanted to recreate it in my kitchen.But as usual,the fear of yeast took over and I left it at that.

During my last trip to Ernakulam,I came across this Yeast envelopes/packages for one time usage.It came with the shopkeepers strong recommendations and I decided to get a couple of those.I wanted to conquer my fear of yeast[I haven't done so yet],so I decided on baking this one.The initial process went on quite smoothly.The dough rose well and as I always say,along with it rose my hopes too!!The filling was done and I was all ready.

The dough was a bit sticky making it difficult for me to shape it.I struggled with it,but now when I think back,I had given up even before I started and that was the culprit,I wasn't thinking right.I somehow managed to keep one batch into the preheated oven and was wondering what to do with the rest of the dough and the filling when an idea struck--finally!!


I ogle at pretty looking dinner rolls and wanted to make my own batch--to an extent,I did well.I stuffed the rolls with the filling[like you would for a stuffed paratha] and placed the rolls in a round cake tin and kept it covered till the calzones got baked.then I plonked it into the oven and waited for a miracle--my prayers were answered and I succeeded in making pull-apart stuffed rolls!!

P.S-Sorry Calzone--though the post is about you,sadly the rolls have taken over!!


Onion & Paneer Calzones and some Stuffed Rolls

Ingredients

For the dough

2 cups all purpose flour
1½ tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning (or herbs of choice)
1 tbsp olive oil

For filling

1 tsp olive oil
3 big onions, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper (juliennes)
1 cup paneer, crumbled [I chopped the paneer into small cubes]
1 cup processed cheese, grated [I used Mozarella] 
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

The filling
 Heat the oil, add the onions and a bit of salt and sauté the onions till soft and light brown. Add the pepper and the bell pepper juliennes and stir a couple of times and take off the heat. Crumble the paneer and grate the cheese. Keep aside till required.

The dough

Put the flour, herbs, yeast, sugar and salt in the food processor bowl. Add the yeast mixture and enough water to the flour to make a soft yet elastic dough. This may be done by hand too. Now add the olive oil and knead well. Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and allow to double.
Take the dough, press out the air and divide into eight pieces. 
Roll each piece into a circle about 6” in diameter. Place the onion filling on one half making sure the edges of the semi-circle are free. 
Put some crumbled paneer over the filling and top off with some grated cheese. Moisten the edges with water and carefully fold the filling free half over to form a semi circle. Using the tines of a fork, press the edges down.
Place the calzones on a greased tray and cover with a cloth. Allow to puff up a bit, for about 5 - 10 minutes.
Bake the calzones at 180C for about 20 minutes or till brown.

For the Stuffed Rolls-Pinch off a small ball of dough and flatten it in your palm.Keep some stuffing and roll into a ball.Place into an oiled tin seam side down.Bake for about 20 minutes. 


Verdict - I really don't know when I can confidently venture into yeast baking but I really wish it comes sooner.The Calzones as well as the rolls were so soft and fluffy and the filling was just so perfect.Thank you Aparna,for this wonderful recipe!!

Off this goes to Srivalli's T&T,which features Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen this month.

17 comments :

  1. Lovely clicks, Divya! Calzone looks cheesy and tempting to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really fantastic and mouthwatering

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love calzone and this looks perfect, i think my perfect moment is when one open it up and the aroam just jumps out from the calazone . yuùmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely calzones. I also have never succedded with active yeast baking. the time my dough rose was when I used fresh yeast. you made some delicious looking stuff especially love the rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is something I like when there's loads of cheese in the calzone. Good looking rolls by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great....would love to have in rainy days with cup of tea...
    hey new event is up and running..come and have a look

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woww awesome looking calzone..irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty looking rolls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am yet to taste a calzone( don't be shocked:-))and this sounds and looks heavenly, cheesy and fresh out of the oven...ur rolls and calzones look perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! Calzone looks irerisitible! Yumm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Great job conquering your yeast fear. I've yet to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zeenath Abdul RahmanSeptember 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM

    Making this and the apple crumble today. They're both in the oven as I write this. Smelling heavenly already. :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Divya, that is one tempting plate!..both look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got to agree, the pull apart rolls have taken over. :)
    Thanks for trying out the calzones, though.

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover