Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Coffee and Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies


There is a Cookie shop in Spenser Plaza which makes us aware of its presence the moment we step into the mall.The wonderful aroma of freshly baked cookies is so tempting and inviting,and the variety,oh boy!!They have so many mix and match flavors that you'd really be confused as to which one to buy.Ajay is not much a cookie fan and I am content with 2 or 3 cookies,so it doesn't make sense to buy a batch for me and then feel guilty for finishing it off all by myself. 

But whenever we pass by the shop,we have a regular routine.I ask Ajay if we can buy some cookies and he says,why--you make better cookies!!Ok,I know I know,sounds very kiddish,but we,I enjoy it a lot!!


It's been a while since i posted a Cookie recipe here,I always fall back on my regular Cookie recipe and shy out from trying out new ones.I remember bookmarking this recipe when Ria made it.So when Sweatha of Curry Leaf made it recently for T&T from Aparna's blog,I decided it was high time I tried it too..and I did.

The crunchy cookie with a strong coffee burst and bite of chocolate chunks in between..man,to-die-for cookies,I bet!!



Coffee and Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies
Recipe source - Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen,Original recipe by Dorie Greenspan

Baking: From My Home to Yours

Ingredients

Instant coffee powder - 1 tbsp
Hot water - 1 tbsp
Butter - 200 gms
Powdered sugar - 2/3 cup
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Milk chocolate -3/4 cup chopped (into small chunks)
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
Method
Dissolve the instant coffee powder in the water and keep aside to cool.
Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter and powdered sugar till smooth, not light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). 
Beat in the vanilla and dissolved coffee.
Turn down the mixer to low speed and add the flour and salt, mix only till the flour is incorporated into the dough. Overworking the dough is not a good idea as it affects the texture of the shortbread.
Now fold in the chocolate chunks with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Using the spatula, transfer the dough (it will be a bit sticky) into a large Ziploc bag. Leave the bag open, place on your work surface and slowly press out the dough with a rolling pin so it becomes a 9" by 10 1/2" rectangle about 1/4" thick.
Turn the bag to the other side as well, while rolling, and occasionally lift the bag from the dough to smooth out the creases. Take care to see no air pockets remain and gently press out any. Seal the Ziploc bag and refrigerate for at least two hours or upto 2 days.

The longer the dough is chilled the easier the dough is to handle, and the better the cookies hold their shape when baked. So please make sure the dough chills for about 24 hours.
When the dough has chilled enough, take it out. Place on a cutting surface and slit the Ziploc bag open. Take the chilled rectangle of dough out, and cut into 1 1/2" squares with a sharp knife after marking them out using a ruler.
Place the squares on a baking sheet lined with parchment (I just placed them on ungreased cookie sheets) and prick them well with a fork.

Bake at 180C for 18 to 20 minutes till they look golden. The baking time needs to be judged well, as the dough is already a pale brown, or one might end up with slightly burnt shortbread squares that no one wants to eat! So keep a watch on them once they've baked for 15 minutes.

Dust the shortbread squares with powdered sugar while they're hot, if you prefer.
Cool on a rack.

Sending this to Srivalli for the Tried and Tasted event which features Aparna's blog this month!



19 comments :

  1. wow, those look mouth watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look great like the combination of coffee & chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the combined flavor of chocolate n coffee ..cookies looks very tempting

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so in love with these cookies, for that matter, any of Dorie's recipes! I have made these cookies so many times by now, that I have lost count of it. It is perfectly coffe-y and chocolate-y!

    This book was one of my wedding gifts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I would die for these cookies, but I would come close enough. :)
    And I'm particularly fond of cookies!
    Thanks for baking from my blog, Divya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrumpitous cookies, looks so yum and cute..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cookies, coffee in it makes all the more tempting to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorie's Shortbread cookies!! Ahh I love those too. Was the person to recommend them to Ria! :P Somehow, I haven't yet put them on the blog though, weirdly. Yours look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Divya the shortbread cookies looks awesome and I loved the flavor of coffee and chocolate chunk..both are match made in heaven...Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These do look to die for, Divya. You took me back to Madras right now-- I don't remember the cookie shop in Spencer Plaza, but it's been almost three years now since I was last there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shortbread cookies looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Divya.... I resemble ur episode with mine :P
    Every time we go here to InOrbit Mall.... I smell the aroma of cookie from Cookie man...... nd I always ask Guru shall we buy it?? he tells me U eat 2 o 3 i m the same too...:P u can make it at home :D and we have the kiddish talk nd move on.....
    I m waiting to buy a baking book :)
    Nd yeh coffee n chocolate make a lovely combo :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coffee is something I would certainly die for..well almost:-)). I am famous (or infamous?)for my jumbo coffee mug and my urgency to drink coffee in the morning. Ummm.. can smell and imagine how divine these cookies must taste Divya! Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cookies look perfect! the combination of coffee n chocolate sounds great, I'm yet to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even I have a similar recipe in my draft! Cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved reading through all your entries Divya..thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover