Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Palak Paneer with Butter Naan


Few months back if someone had told me I would be relishing Butter Naans with Palak Paneer,I would have smiled and disagreed with them.I mean,is there any other combo which works well with naan other than Paneer Butter Masala??I doubt.I wasn't much of a Greens fan too,remember.But boy,I was wrong.Ever since I made Palak Pathrodo,I've become an instant convert and I am looking for Palak recipes like never before.

While we were in Bangalore,my Vanni made an awesome soup with Spinach and I realized one thing.If the taste was masked with other flavors,I had absolutely no problems in consuming greens.I dislike greens stir-fry/thoran etc because it so much feels like I am eating some kind of uncooked leaf!!But with Spinach based dishes,it isn't so.I had cleaned and frozen a bunch of Spinach and was looking for a good [and easy!]Palak paneer recipe.I found one at showmethecurry.com.Absolutely delicious and a perfect combo with Naan[after PBM,of course!]


For the Butter Naan,I followed Rak's recipe from Rak's kitchen,as I was looking for a recipe without yeast and which didn't require cooking in the oven/grill.I loved the ease of the recipe.The resulting naans were super soft and perfect.I did not make any changes,just halved the recipe and got around 6 naans of medium size.

Palak Paneer 
Recipe source - Hetal & Anuja at showmethecurry.com

Ingredients
 
Spinach - 1, 16oz pkt chopped, frozen (about 1/2 kg)
Paneer- 7 oz or 200 g
Oil – 3 tbsp
Onions – 2 med, minced
Ginger – 1″ pc, minced
Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
Water – 1/2 cup
Tomatoes – 2 large or 1, 14oz can diced (pureed)
Garam Masala - 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Salt - to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Heavy Whipping Cream – 8 tbsp or to taste [ I used Milk]
Milk – to taste (optional)

Method

Cook frozen Spinach with 1/2 cup Water in a microwave safe dish for 7-8 minutes stirring in between.
Blend cooked Spinach to desired texture (avoid over-blending).
Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a medium non-stick pan on high heat.
Once Oil is hot, add in the minced Onions, stir, cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
Add in the Ginger and Garlic and mix. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
Add in the Tomates, cover and cook till the oil seperates from the mixture.
Keep stirring frequently as the Masala (Onion, Tomato, Ginger & Garlic mixture) tends to burn very fast.
While the Masala is cooking, cube the paneer to desired size…1/2″ cubes work well.
In a non-stick frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp Oil.
Once Oil is hot, add in the paneer cubes and let them cook till they are golden brown on all sides.
Remove from the pan into a plate with paper towel to soak the excess oil.
In a couple of minutes, pour the Paneer into a bowl of cold water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, once the Masala is prepared, add in the mashed Spinach.
Mix and add the Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt, Chili Powder & Turmeric Powder.
Mix well and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Add in the desired amount of Cream and /or Milk. Mix and cook for another few minutes.
Gently squeeze the water out of the Paneer and put the Paneer in the Spinach.
Mix gently and serve hot.



Butter Naan [On the Tawa,without Yeast]
Recipe source - Raks of Raks Kitchen]

Ingredients

Maida - 1 cup
Thick curds - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup
Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Sugar -1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Melted Ghee - 2 tsp

Method

Sift together maida,baking powder and baking soda thrice.
In a mixing bowl,add the sifted flour mix and make a small well.
Pour in the milk,curds,salt and sugar and knead gently to make a smooth dough.
Keep aside covered for 2-3 hours.
Make even sized balls of the dough and start rolling to make an oblong shape or a tear drop shape[this is optional].
Apply few drops of water on one side of the naan and flip over to a hot tawa[so that the portion to which water was applied sticks to the tava].
Cover and cook for a minute and then flip the naan to cook/brown the other side too.
Apply butter/ghee to both sides and serve hot with a curry of your choice.

23 comments :

  1. This looks like the perfect combo Divya!! Naan sounds easy and do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palak paneer looka awesome and delicious divya.. perfect clicks !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really yummy....love this combination anytime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Divs... M seriously hungry now as the pic luks so indulging Yummmm :)
    I love green some way or the other..... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks ..I already have my weekend menu ready..its going to be those yummy butter naans and paneer subji..already drooling..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Divya akki ...i m gonna try this out... my hubby also kinda away frm greens i guess i can make him eat this ... looks yummy no doubt.... btwn ur palak patrovodo was a hit ..many of my relatives tried and asked me to thank you on there behalf ...for that lovely recepie.... !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Divya akki ...i m gonna try this out... my hubby also kinda away frm greens i guess i can make him eat this ... looks yummy no doubt.... btwn ur palak patrovodo was a hit ..many of my relatives tried and asked me to thank you for that lovely recepie.... !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing, especiallye the butter naan! I bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, that looks like such a drool-worthy platter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect combo.. Looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious combo...definitely droolworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very well tried.. both looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am here after a very long time... Paalak paneer looks and sounds yumm! Nice click! Thanks for trying out the naan and the link love :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A mouthwatering combo! Looks absolutely great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anytime hubby and me go a restaurant in India this is the fist thing we order.We never get tired of this combo.Am drooling at ur pic right now and its so tempting that I am going to make this for dinner tonite :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my god.. the butter nan is looks sooooo good. Getting too damn tempted :) Palak paneer with butter nan can be the best ever combi.. Too yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Soft and Fluffy nans out there...looks super yum

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's surprising, but I love Palak Paneer. It looks delicious. I'm off to tell my cook to make this :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice..Both Palak Paneer and Naan looks delicious! Lovely combo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This recipe was great! Linked you from my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover