Saturday, May 8, 2010

Eggless Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Frosting


I feel so good when people appreciate and like the food I cook.I am bad at responding to compliments and often fumble for words,when saying a simple ‘thank you’ would do.But when someone as young as a eight year old asks you for a recipe,I am more amused than happy.Yes,I have a very young fan who loves whatever I bake and eats it with gusto.

Vikram aka Vicky is our friends’ son and I’ve been his official baby sitter[though only occasionally] ever since he was as young as a six month old baby.It was while baking this cake that he expressed his love for me..er my cake.He is very fussy with his food and his taste changes every now and then making it difficult for me to cook for him.But if I say I will be baking a cake if he finishes his food,he will eat whatever I put on his plate.Little tricks I am learning..:)
‘The moment’ came when he had a slice of the Celebration Chocolate Cake.When I asked him how it was he said-It is Sooooper,can you please write the recipe in a paper??I will ask mom to bake it for me!!I felt elated and never before have I felt so good about a compliment!!So whenever he is here,I bake for him.Last time,while I was about to bake,I saw that there was only 1 egg in the fridge and I decided to go eggless.


Eggless Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Icing
Recipe source-Lakshmi Kudua,original recipe by Nita Mehta

Ingredients

Cake flour – 1 ½ cups
Thick curd – 1 cup
Sugar – ¾ cup
Refined oil – ½ cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp

Method


Preheat oven to 180C.
Grease an 8’ round cake tin.
Beat together sugar and curds well.
Add baking powder and baking soda,mix well and keep aside for 2-3 minutes.
Bubbles will start appearing on top-add oil and vanilla essence and beat well.
Mix in the flour 1 tbsp at a time and make a smooth batter.
I added a tsp of cocoa powder to 1/3 of the batter and then swirled it together with the yellow batter for a marbled effect.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Chocolate frosting – I had some leftover frosting after making this cake,so I used that.Regular butter icing could be used for this cake.I topped it with some sprinkles for my young guest.

31 comments :

  1. I love the recipe. Will surely try it. Can I add any flavor instead of vanilla?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very lovely cake.kid appreciated food is always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. delicious cake yarr.nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So soft and spongy..looks beautiful divya..

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely cake..am sure vicky must have had a good time..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divya even u went eggless....:D The prof.. thig shud be given first to u i m in some corner :D i loved this one too :) nd yeh it feels gr8 when such small kiddos ask for recipe..... a 6 y o kiddo i saudi loved my food always... especially the rasam.... she used to tell me aunty teach my amma she doesnt know to do this :D ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cake divya.. looks soooooooo tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Divya, ur eggless vanilla cake with chocolate frosting looks fabulous! It's so perfect that I would love get a few bites of it right NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yumm!! oh, yeah, it feels great to see people enjoying the food we cook:-) Hey, how did u get that curve inside the cake??? That looks new!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in love with all your cakes :) The cake looks pretty and yellow cake with choc frosting is one of my fav combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great and perfect.. I love chocolate cakes..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cake looks very chocolatety and delicious.Perfect for bribing any kid with.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely perfect and delicious cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a sweet post Divya! Lovely cake too!

    P.s. I love your pendant! Is it terracota?

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely cake and very nice recipe too....loved the mom and son's phtograph...Happy Mother's Day...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome,soft and spongy cake,no wonder he liked it?Would love to have a slice too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely click :) Cake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cake looks moist and crumby!! Perfect frosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cake looks deliciously tender and moist! I'm always on the lookour for eggless recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi divya...i baked this yummy cake and it came out awesome..so posted it in blog and linked it to your blog :)
    Chk out my blog :http://cookingwithloveandforlove.blogspot.com/2011/06/cakes-have-changed-through-times.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Divya,
    Could you please tell me what is cake flour? I googled and one page tells its a mix of Maida & Cornflour? If so, what is the ratio? Wanna make it this weekend. :)
    -
    Kavi
    (Edible Entertainment)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi..
    this cake recipe is so wonderful i must say...and i just love it and gets lots of praise.could you tell me the exact ration for maida curd and oil in grams?
    i tried this so many times for first 4 to 5 times it came well
    then after that each time its being a big flop not able to comprehend the reason..
    maybe m doing sme ratio mistake...m using all purpose flour from walmart

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,

    Just tried this today and waiting to see how it turns out. Any tips on if we want to make these into cupcakes? As in baking time, temp etc

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,

    I just tried this today. It turned out very well. However the cake seems to have a wet texture even though when I inserted a knife before I took it out from oven it came out clean. I let it bake for 32 mins at 180. Please advise what I did wrong?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. hello divya....absolutely easy recipe...i am going to try it....but can u tell me if refined oil is dalda or shud we use sumthing else...pls reply fast....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refined oil is regular cooking oil-Sunflower/Gold winner etch.Dalda is vanaspati.

      Delete
  26. OH yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cakes so hungryyyyy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I baked this cake today, but it did not rise at all. I baked it in 2 batches for the tiramisu cake, but i dont know what went wrong. Cud it be a problem with my microwave??

    ReplyDelete
  28. please give the measurement in grams.cup meanse it is confusing

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover