Friday, March 5, 2010

Vegetable Chettinad with Coin Porotta!!

It was a while back,when we were newly married and had gone out with friends to a newly opened restaurant in Besant Nagar.They said it served pure Chettinad fare.When I opened the menu card,I was in for a shock.Out of almost a 6 page-menu card,there were only four vegetarian dishes and out of those two were Brinjal and Bhindi based[which are obviously on my dislike-list].I had to chose between a mixed vegetable curry and a stew.Our friends were feeling bad for me since they had no idea I was a vegetarian.I ordered the mix veg curry with Idiyappam.I had the idiyappam with pickle though..ask me why..the pickle was less spicy than the curry itself..:)

So there ended my Chettinad fiesta.

I’ve read and seen so much about Chettinad food that I really wanted to try it.I have also read that originally Chettiars were pure vegetarians,it is their travel abroad on business which made them non-vegetarians.[I read this on Vanitha Pachakam and hence this is not my opinion].

During my never ending search for side-dishes for roti,I came across this recipe which sounded easy and looked delicious.I did not follow the recipe exactly-after all,who needs 400gms of Dalda to make a curry which serves four?

Vegetable Chettinad
Recipe source – Vanitha Pachakam

Ingredients

Mixed vegetables – 2-3 cups[I added chopped carrot,potato,beans and green peas]
Onions – 2 big,sliced
Tomato – 2,medium,pureed
Whole mixed spices – 1 tbsp[Cinnamon,clove,cardamom and bay leaf]
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Garam masala – 1 tbsp
Cashewnut paste – 3 tbsp [I ground a handful of cashewnuts in 1 tsp milk]
Whole red chillies – 2
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1-2 sprigs
Salt to taste

Method

Cook the vegetables till soft and drain the water.
In a kadai add the oil and sauté the onions till light brown.
Add ginger garlic paste,whole chillies,red chilly powder,coriander powder,haldi and garam masala.
Mix in the tomato puree and keep stirring till everything gets mixed.
Now add the cooked vegetables,cashewnut paste and salt to taste.
Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
Serve hot.

I served the curry with Coin Porotta.I love the fluffy porottas we get in Kerala restaurants but the slow eater that I am,by the time I finish half of it,the porottas become rubbery.Coin porotta is perfect for me!!I followed the recipe from Beyond Curries and tweaked it to make these cute coin porottas.We loved it since it made of atta and a very easy method is followed to get the layers right.Thanks BC team:)


Sending this to Srish kitchen for the event EFM-Parathas and Gravies.

26 comments :

  1. I have just heard of Chettinad recipes.. never tried it.. ur blog is introducing me to new recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Divya, it's been long I visited ur space.
    I love chettinad food and was seriously wondering which restaurant you visited in Besant Nagar..
    The curry looks too good to resist and perfect with the coin parathas.
    Visit when u have time. take care dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy curry .. must be spicy N yum .. loved the porotta too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was curious to know what this coin partoas were the looks so so cute and good.
    Sure gonna try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tried coin porotta before...Looks yummy and cute. Veg chettinad sounds creamy and spicy dear..Perfect side dish for chapathis and roti...

    ReplyDelete
  6. parotta looks yummy, would love to try out this version ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coin parotta sounds easy and prefect, with those veggies, i can eat two more parathas for the sure...Both together looks fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  8. going to try your coin parotta...always wanted to..the sabzi is very good

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow iam drooling over that vegetable chettinad ! love the name coin porotta :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Up in these parts it's hard to find vegetarian entrees on menus as well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering just what coin parottas were.
    I recently heard on a TV talk show about different cuisines that authentic Chettinad cuisine is pure vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad makes the best parottas. This coin parotta is new to me. Perfectly shaped Divya. And the chettinad dish sounds like a yummy combo with the parottas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Divya,

    This recipe looks very yummy.The parotta and the curry are a delight to the eyes of the viewer and must really taste the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting name for parrota made with Whole wheat!
    The curry sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did not know abt chettinad cuisine (which i thought was solely non veg)until my friend made chettinad sambar which tasted great.. and then I made mixed veg chettinad with my friends recipe..Love the taste..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Chettinad food, but as you said, being a vegetarian our choices in restaurants like Karaikudi are pretty limited - my MIL got me a fantastic Chettinad cookbook sometime ago and I love cooking vegetarian recipes from that book.
    I'm surprised I haven't visited your blog so far, bookmarking it for all the interesting stuff you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yup, vegetarians are 'poor vegetarians' when we go to some restaurants:-)) I love coin parotta. Thanks for sharing the recipe of this combo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love chettinad cuisine..its true that vegetarians have a limited no of choices in some restaurants:(
    combo looks super yumm

    ReplyDelete
  19. This requires lots of patience, I bet! :)
    Yummy Curry! :).Perfect combo!!

    In fact I tried making the cocoa banana muffins after seeing your chocolate cake event...had been going thru my old cook books and baked this yesterday.
    Have another choc cake recipe in my book(he he..I have already posted the best, which you have tried...), though not very confident to take part in your sweet event...:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This requires lots of patience, I bet! :)
    Yummy Curry! :).Perfect combo!!

    In fact I tried making the cocoa banana muffins after seeing your chocolate cake event...had been going thru my old cook books and baked this yesterday.
    Have another choc cake recipe in my book(he he..I have already posted the best, which you have tried...), though not very confident to take part in your sweet event...:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very yummy and mouthwatering curry...I could easily have 2 parathas with that curry:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Curry looks perfect. Never tasted Chettinad food as they are flooded with non-veg recipes only mostly. Loved this sabji. You have a wonderful space with interesting recipes. Following u :):)

    Chitchat

    ReplyDelete
  23. curry looks awesome!!!!! yummy yumm

    ReplyDelete
  24. Divya - love the curry and the coin porotta !! I was ROTFL on the 400 gms of dalda! Good Lord! I would die of cholesterol or whatever that came with that much dalda! I order Porotta Kurma from this dirty little place in salem - my mom hates it when I do that - I don't even go there but take out from there - yes..its a dirty place -but man..they have the best porottas!!

    There used to be a very very good chettinad restaurant in Egmore owned by Vijaykanth - I think it was called New madurai - but I head they closed down. I used to love Gobi 65 there! The best I've had and their vegetarian biriyani was awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Divya,

    I am just loving your blog !
    Can you please share a tried and tested recipe for lachha parantha?

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover