Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dates and Dry Fruits Laddu


Anything which says-‘weight watchers special’,or ‘good to snack on while on a diet’ or better still ‘tasty and low-fat’ catches my immediate attention.Sadly,most of the recipes I come across use items which are not easily available in India.So the next option is to carefully choose such recipes which you can easily recreate with items which are readily available.


I had some really soft,the melt in the mouth types of Dates so I was frantically searching for recipes using the same.Of course the first choice was Dates cake,but I am on a no-baking mode these days,God knows why.Some time back,I bought a Dry fruits Laddu from Adyar Ananda bhavan for a friend.It was tasty and great and all that,but it had less of dry fruits and more of Coconut and Dates.


So that gave me the idea.Got lots of recipes while I searched for Dates Laddu and finally I chose Sailaja's Dates Burfi with Nuts.Mainly because it uses very little amount of ghee[just 1 tbsp]and then there’s no added sugar,which makes it almost fat-free.


Dates and Dry fruits Laddu

Recipe adapted from Sailaja's Khajoor Laddu


Ingredients


Dates – 1 cup,deseeded and chopped

Dry fruits-Nuts – ½ cup[I used Cashewnuts,Almonds,Figs and Raisins]

Ghee – 1 tbsp

Dessicated coconut* – 2-3 tbsps[Optional]


Method


In a thick bottomed kadai,add the ghee and roast the dry fruits-nuts on a slow flame for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from the kadai and keep aside.

In the same pan,add the dates and keep stirring till the dates start to melt**.

Mix the roasted nuts and dry fruits with the melted dates and mix well.

When it is still warm,make small laddus and roll them in dessicated coconut.


*I found the laddus lot less sweet for my standards:),so I mixed some powdered sugar along with the dessicated coconut and then rolled the laddus in them.


**While I was stirring the dates,they started burning slightly,so I immediately removed the dates from the kadai and Microwaved the dates on high power for 1 minute.That solved the problem and the dates were melted perfectly.

35 comments :

  1. So this is that laddoo we twittered about :) Looks good! And I am sure many calorie conscious will find this very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow divya this is really lovely laddu and healthy too.. looks gorgeous and tempting too.. wish to have one right away..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dusting of coconut in brown color laddu really looks so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect low-fat sweet to satisfy the sweet cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divya Laddu kitle laik dista assaa....
    here we get awesome dates nd i have tried date balls vth it too....but only diff is never coated it vth coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Laddu dear...Nice n contrast..healthy one..

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wooow Divya, It looks so gorgeous and healthy.The brown and white color looks so so good. I am bookmarking this yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a healthy ladoo. I am also on a look out for fat free things and I agree to find them here is not easy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good one..looks yummy..sugarless sweets are always so appealing..

    ReplyDelete
  10. fat free and healthy sweets are very rare!! these look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow those laddos looks delicious & healthy Divya.

    Trupti
    Fashion Deals For Less
    Recipe Center

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husbnad loves dates and dry fruits. I will try this on him :-) Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats totally yummy divya..real healthy too..kids may go crazy..lemme try too..!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Divya, I have nominated u for the kreativ blogger award...please do visit my blog and accept it. and keep rocking :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a healthy and delicious laddoo! I loved the coconut topping on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These do look delicious. Dates are a delicious and healthy substitute for sugar, and are so flavorful on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow....these look so wonderful.Dusting coconut makes them so perfect:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delicious. Very nice and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. True to your blog name, easy!I love dates and dry fruits make it love more :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. They must have tasted very good!So tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Divya, these look tooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. really healthy and yummy laddoo and easy to make too

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thats definitely healthy and they look great. Would be a wonderful winter treat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I make these too....isn't it easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love dates, i used to have them during the meals , plus they give lots of iron :)
    Oh these laddoos look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I lovee dates! And this is low-fat! Makes it the perfect dessert for me! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Excellent, very very nice, dont add sugar, its good for weight watchers.
    medical billing training

    ReplyDelete
  28. Divya,
    I made these today.Came out great..super easy and healthy too. My dates did not "melt" at first so I added 1 tablespoon of water and once that's absorbed had to add one more tablespoon to achieve the soft consistency.
    Guess it depends on how soft the dates are. Next time probably will spread it on a greased plate and cut it into bars and call it Divya's energy bars:-)
    Thanks Again
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW..i tried this today and it came out well..
    it was easy to make..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW..I tried this today and it came out really well..
    it was very easy to make..thanks

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover