Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Methi Chole


I think my blog is soon on its way to a shadow blog for Vanitha recipes.Ever since I got the recipes bound in a big fat cookbook,all I do is search for recipes which I can try one after the another.Hubby is only too happy at the variety that’s being offered!!I always look for different side-dishes to go with chapathi/paratha,as I make them on a daily basis.Though we love simple dal,sometimes you do get bored of it.

Saw this recipe in one of the latest editions of Vanitha and I wanted it to make it mainly for the inclusion of Methi leaves.As most of you know,I’m not much a fan of Greens and prefer to have them camouflaged in some curries.I had bought those cute mini-bunch of methi leaves and set about making this curry.Lovely variation from the plain old Chole and methi leaves gives it a great healthy tag;-).

Methi Chole

Ingredients


White chickpea/channa – 150 gms
Methi/Fenugreek leaves – cleaned & chopped-¾ cup
Cinnamon – ½ ‘ piece
Cloves – 2
Elaichi/Cardamom – 2
Oil or Ghee – 1 tbsp
Jeera/Cumin – ¾ tsp
Methi/Fenugreek seeds – a small pinch
Cinnamon – ¾’piece
Green chillies – 2,chopped
Ginger – finely chopped – 1 tsp
Hing/asafoetida – a pinch
Haldi/turmeric – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Tomato – 1,chopped
Tamarind paste – ¾ tbsp
Coriander leaves – as required

Method

Wash and soak the channa for 10 hours or overnight and cook in enough water till done.
Dry roast cinnamon,cloves and elaichi and grind to a fine powder.
In a kadai,add oil/ghee and splutter jeera.
Add methi and cinnamon stick and stir well.
Add chopped green chilly and ginger.
Saute for few minutes and then add hing and chopped methi leaves.
Add haldi and salt to taste and mix well.
Now add the chopped tomato.
When the methi leaves and tomato gets cooked,add the cooked channa[keep aside 2-3 tbsp channa]
Add a cup of water and let it boil.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Mash the channa along with the tamarind paste and add to the curry.
Now add the roasted masala powder and stir well.
Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot!!


Sending this across to Laurie,who is hosting this month's My Legume Love Affair 9th helping.An event originally started by Susan,of The Well seasoned cook.

15 comments :

  1. I do throw in some methi leaves while cooking chole. Liked the blend of spices in urs. shadow of Vanitha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty..chana+methi..lovely combo..am going to use kasoori methi as fresh is not on me. Tks for translating Vanitha key lovely dishes! :D My frnds mom used to read this when I was studying..used to love the look of it..even a frnd here translated a nice meen recipe for me! :) Thks for the lovely pic n recipe..m making two dishes today frm here! :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heyy i saw this on another blog as well and the recipe was from vanitha too!! :D:D looks delicious, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love recipes from vanitha, but mostly i don't get the veggies here so i never make use of the recipes there.
    I just sit and drol on the pics in vanitha.
    CHole looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious,will try this soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe!! Cook the whole book, it's fun. Methi Chole looks yum, I have one in the draft but don't know when I am going to post, may be for next legume event! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its always fun to make recipes from cookbooks.. compare our pics with the ones in the book (if the book has any pics, that is). Lovely methi-chole recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Methi chole looks yumm. Both my fav..Lovely recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chole and methi delicious way to eat green. The pict is pretty tempting Div

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the exact same combination posted on my blog too - lipsmacking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. methi chole looks yummy divya.. new recipe to me. good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm.. this is a different recipe for me divya..! Will try out. Do send more recipies to FIL-TOmato by 31st da :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chole looks yummy Divya :)I remember seeing this in vanitha, but havent tried yet and I also have a big file of vanitha recipes, i just love going through them :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made methi with black chana sometime ago... it is scheduled to come up in April. I wil try this before methi goes out of season.

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover