Monday, February 9, 2009

Sweet Khichdi

My dear in-laws are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary today!!Yes,and this post is dedicated to them.

I’ve been away for a while,I know.But I couldn’t let this day pass without a mention.Holiday hangover plus a writers/bloggers block(!!) had kept me away and when I told this to hubby,he asked me to take the safe route-keep the post short and sweet[is there ever such a thing;-)]

I made sweet khichdi to celebrate the joy.I first tasted this dish with a big apprehension.The name khichdi was a deterrent as I am not too fond of the savoury version and when ma-in-law told me this is a totally different sweet I decided to take the plunge and liked it immensely.It is not a payasam nor a halwa,an in-between sweet which is usually made during special occasions,festivals etc.

Sweet Khichdi
Ingredients


Channa dal – 1 cup
Broken wheat – 1 cup
Jaggery (grated) – 2 cups
Sugar – 1 cup
Grated coconut – ½ cup
Ghee – 4 tbsp
Crushed cardamom – 1 tsp
Cashewnuts – 2 tbsp,chopped
Banana – 1,chopped into thin slices

Method

Roast channa dal and broken wheat separately till a nice aroma comes-about 5 minutes(do not brown it).
Cook together in a pressure cooker adding enough water.
Add jaggery and sugar to the cooked dal-wheat mix.
Keep mixing-at this point the khichdi will look too thin and watery,keep stirring and it will thicken.
Add grated coconut and 3 tbsp ghee.
Roast the cashewnuts in the remaining ghee and add to the khichdi.
Simmer for 10 minutes or till the khichdi becomes thick-pourable consistency.
Add crushed cardamom.
Garnish with chopped banana and serve hot.


Update - Sending this bowl of Khichdi to Ashwini for the Lentil Mela.

22 comments :

  1. Happy Anniversary to ur in-laws ..I never tried sweet khichdi...this khichdi looks very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your mother-in-law is just so BEAUTIFUL! She doesnt look old enough to have been married 40 years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice recipe..will try it for some festive occasion..congrats to your in laws..Happy anniversary..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary to them they look very happy!

    Great looking sweets for them, enjoy and come back soon. Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warm wishes to your in laws. May they celebrate many years of togetherness and warmth. Khichidi is one of my fav. I love with Sugar more than jaggery though.Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many many happy returns to your in-laws :) this is a new dish for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mouth-watering khichdi. Its made with moong dal at my place. Lovely pic of your in-laws. God bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Aniversary to your In Laws..40 years wow..Nice way of wishing them..yumm.Never tried with wheat..loos delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your in laws and sweet kichdi is a great way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congragulations to your wonderful inlaws.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary to ur in Laws. Great way to honnor ur in laws with the sweet post and dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to your in laws and wishing many many more.The khicdi looks similar to Panchakadai.I love it.This looks too perfect. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very happy wedding anniversary to your in-laws! This sweet kichdi is totally new to me! Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOUR MA-PA IN LAW! Wishing them many many more as well!
    This Khichdi brought back divine memories of bachpan Divu! I loved it and didn't have it since ages now! Thanks for sharing the pic n recipe..(connectivity doing jig..so comment was lost!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated anniversary to them. They look very happy in the pic and we wish them many more happy years together..Great looking sweet

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks delicious! happy anniversary to your in laws!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Divya, Ur FIL is my amma's cousin. Ask him shobha's daughter he will get it. ANd convey our Anniversary wishes to them as well. Btw Kichdi is tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hai...

    LOOKS Delicious...Belated anniversary wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy wedding anniversary to your in-laws..... Nice khichdi recipe. YUM!....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy anniversary to ur In-laws.. Hope they too enjoyed the sweet (I did it virtually)... Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Divu, title Sweet Khichdi kellyari google search kartna ye post easily melta..wanted to tell u I knew only this sweet as khichdi was pleasantly surprised, when in secondary, learnt that savory version is known at most places as Khicdi! But that rice+moong daal version here is alws hit wt hub! I hv to make ur version of S.K someday now..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Divya...Belated , in fact extra belated Anniversary wishes to your Aanu & Amma....really innovative and tempting sweet..my wholehearted appreciations!!!

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover