Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Paneer Tikka

I have raved and ranted about my liking for Paneer and also about people who hate it.Each time I order a paneer dish,I see a frown on their faces.But if there is one dish which the non-paneer lovers are willing to try,it is Paneer tikka.I have had friends asking for a bite even while they are having their tandoori chicken and chicken tikkas.I think its mainly because of its looks and then the overpowering smell of the tandoor grilled paneer.

Me and my friend D(who’s also a veg) always order this whenever we eat out.Everytime the taste is different but we don’t mind as long as it is Paneer tikka..;-).Last year,on New years eve,we tried making it at home using readymade tikka masala.I used a toothpick as the skewer and cut the veggies in small bite sized pieces and grilled in the microwave.It came out excellent,very soft and juicy,but the burnt look was missing.We were too busy ringing up the new year and didn’t notice it;-).

After that,I have made it many times and just like in restaurants,each time the taste differed.Sometime back,I tried making paneer tikka from scratch-making the marinade and all,and it came out great-just the way I like it,soft and succulent.I have to buy skewers or else be content with the bite-sized paneer tikkas..;-)

Paneer Tikka

Ingredients

Paneer – 200 gms,cut into squares
Capsicum – 1,cut into 1’ pieces
Onion – 2,cut into cubes
Tomato – 2,cut into cubes

For the Marinade

Hung curd – 1 cup(hang dahi in a muslin cloth for 20 minutes)
Thick malai/cream – 3 tbsp
Oil – 1 ½ tbsp
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
Tandoori masala Or Chicken masala – 1 tbsp
A pinch of red/orange food colour(optional)
Salt to taste

Method

Take all the ingredients for the marinade in a mixing bowl and add paneer and rest of the veggies.Mix well and keep aside for an hour.
Grease wire or grill rack.
Arrange the tikkas on a skewer or a toothpick(if using toothpick the paneer and veggies should be chopped in a small size).
Preheat oven to 200*C.
Place the tikkas in the hot oven and cook for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle some melted butter on the tikkas and cook again for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle chat masala and lemon juice.
Serve hot!!
*Recipe source – Nita Mehta

Sending this one to Rak's kitchen for MEC-Paneer.

24 comments :

  1. my husband loves these..recipe seems very easy will give it a try..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paneer tikka looks gorgeous, they turned out really prefect for u..mouthwatering dish..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like paneer, don't love them.
    I am sure i will love these paneer tikka.
    Happy 2009 to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter loves Panner, this would be great in Butter masala! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, Divya! nice click!

    ReplyDelete
  6. paneer tikka looks very delicious Divya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm I am drooling over ur tikka!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hapy New Year Divya..Paneer tikkas are one of my favoruites..I had tried once long back, similar method ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. tikkas look lovely!

    coincidently even i posted paneer tikka in my blog today. the recipe too is very much similar. :-)

    check it here..

    http://gourmetaffair.blogspot.com/2009/01/paneer-tikka.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. U R so right about that! My hubby won't eat any other paneer than the tikka.. :-) nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Divya,
    Thankyou for your entry for the event! Looks very nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUMMMM..i love love love paneer tikka..even though i am a non vegetarian..i simply lovee paneer...can eat it anytime and have many a times ordered a paneer tikka over a chicken tikka :)..Urs has come out really good...very very tempting indeed..and hey happy new yr to u :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. my all time fav divya and my daughter's too..looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Divya...these are my fav too.Paneer non lovers are surely missing alot:-P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very indifferent towards Paneer... I like it, but I don't cook with it that much :-)

    Paneer Tikka is something we end up ordering on our trips out :-) in this biting cold... standing in front of the tandoor while the guy grills the paneer... it is amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. forgot to add... this looks delish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Divya
    Thank you very much for your nice recipes. Yesterday I tried panner tikka and it came out really well. But in my oven (LG-convection model) in grill mode it is not preheating. Preheating is only in convection mode. Is that fine?

    I have another request, from your blog now I'm able to prepare basic cake, can you please explain about icing and decorating cake?
    Thanks & Regards
    Padmapriya

    ReplyDelete
  18. What mode should I select for pizza

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi..i ve lg mv with convection. For paneer tikka, which mode we need to use. Also in my mv i dont have preheat option for grill mode.

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover