Friday, December 19, 2008

Baked Vegetables with Crumbs

Once while we were in Bangalore,Ma-in-law made yummy Tomato soup with Toast.It was yummy[needless to say] and I was done with my dinner.After sometime,she served dinner,with the usual dal and upkari and I was amused.I asked her how I’ll eat when I am so full..;-).She told me a funny thing-once,a colleague gave her the recipe for a soup and she made it that evening itself along with some salad and toast.My Father-in-law and bro-in-law enjoyed the fare and slurped happily.She felt very happy too,that they were satisfied with a changed dinner menu.Funny thing was,they asked her what’s for dinner barely a few minutes later!!;-)She said,on her mission to make dinner healthy,she ended up cooking twice and it proved to be not healthy at all!!

Whenever we lay hands on exotic veggies,I make this stir-fry.The only effort involved in making this is cleaning the cauliflower and broccoli and chopping the vegetables.It gets done in a jiffy and makes a great meal.I am lucky that hubby doesn’t ask for dinner after finishing this meal;-)

This time however,I decided to make it differently and followed Raaga’s recipe of Crumb Tossed veggies.As with all her other recipes that I have tried,this one too was absolutely delicious and hubby has given his thumbs-up.Thank you Raaga!!Click here for her original recipe and scroll down for my version[with a few changes].

Baked Veggies with Crumbs

Ingredients


Broccoli florets – ½ cup
Cauliflower florets – ½ cup
Carrots, diced – ½ cup[I did not add]
Mushrooms – ¼ cup
Baby Corn – ¼ cup
Colored bell peppers – ¼ cup
Bread Crumbs – 2-3 tbsp
Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
Chilli Flakes – 1 tsp
Parsley – ½ tsp[I did not add]
Basil – ½ tsp[I did not add]
Roasted Garlic – ½ tsp
Salt to Taste
I substituted Parsley and Basil with Mixed Herbs and Oregano.


Method

Place all the veggies except bell peppers in a microwave safe bowl,sprinkle few tbsp water and cook covered for 4-5 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200*C.
In a kadai,heat the olive oil and add the chili flakes, parsley, garlic and basil[I added mixed herbs and oregano].
Add the cooked vegetables and the salt.
Toss well and cook for about two minutes.
Add the bread crumbs and toss again. Transfer this to a lightly greased baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.

I served it with
Mushroom Soup and Mashed Potatoes for a very satisfying meal!!

10 comments :

  1. Like the savory version of crumbs, I need to try this once.
    I am like you, I'll be satified just with soup and toast..

    ReplyDelete
  2. good one..i too have in mind to bake the veges sometimes for a healthier version..

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious and yum!
    Join in the EFM - SAVOURIES SERIES going in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a nice idea of using crumbs with vegetables..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely.I too had bookmarked it.Looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. always love to eat baked veggies.. delicious and healthy.. it makes tummy full without much calories :)

    chakali

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm yummy and very healthy...love the veggies used in your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow... this looks healthy and delicious... has all my fav veggies.. got to make this soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... you're on a roll... my cousin has a similar story to tell about her FIL and husband... she made soup and they asked her whatw as for dinner!

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover