Saturday, November 8, 2008

Muleeku


Having stayed quite close to a temple has made me an absolute fan of naivedyams/prasadams served after the Pujas.Muleek is one such naivedyam from our temple.It is very similar to the famous Kerala snack "Sukiyan",though I have not yet tasted a sukiyan..;-).There are different varieties in muleek.Usually a mix of channa dal and jaggery is used but this one is made with Coconut-jaggery mix,the churna.

I remember amma making this every time there's a festival or during such special occasions.I have often helped her in making the balls and she used to deftly put it in the batter,roll it and deep fry it till done.Many a times,I've burnt my lips and tongue trying to taste the out-from-the-oil-hot muleeku;-).Compared to the original one,this one's quite easy and simple to make.
Recipe Marathon - Day 8

Muleeku

Ingredients
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Grated jaggery - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Maida - about 1 cup
Salt - a pinch
Water - as required to make the batter
Oil- to deep fry

Method

In a thick bottomed kadai melt the grated jaggery adding 1/4 cup water till the jaggery melts completely.
Add the grated coconut and mix.
Keep stirring till the water evaporates and the churna becomes stiff enough to roll into balls.
Add the cardamom powder and keep aside to cool.
Meanwhile,make the batter using maida,salt and water.
The batter should not be too runny,it should be of the consistency of thin bajji batter.
Make small balls of the churna,dip it in the batter and deep fry till it becomes light brown.
Serve hot!!

Check out my fellow marathoners to see what they've been cooking!!

1) DK
2) Siri
3) Srivalli
4) Ranji
5)PJ
6)Curry Leaf
7)Medha
8)Priya
9)Bhawna
10)Raaji
11)Ruchii
12)Anu
13)Kamala
14)Roopa
15)Rekha
16)Divya M
17)Lakshmi
18)Raaga
19)Lakshmi Venkatesh
20)Sripriya
21)Viji
22)Kamalika
23)Pavani

17 comments :

  1. nice recipe..have tasted sukhiyan..this is something new..

    ReplyDelete
  2. pic kahan hein. it is not coming on the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice traditional recipe.Muleeku and sukhiyan are same as far I know.You pic cannot be seen

    ReplyDelete
  4. me too love temple prasadham..esp the tamarind rice[Puliyodharai]. yummmm..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant able to see the pic Divya..its quite something new dear..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not able to see your pic, Recipe is so nice, jaggery and coconut anything tastes yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey friends..I am trying my best to make the pic visible,but there seems to be some problem.Will try and fix it asap!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cannot see the pic..Will get back to see it! Nice reecipe..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't see the pic, but we make the same thing with chana dal filling. I love it and it's a standard on Deepavali! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm very new to me yeh sounds like sukhiyan intresting

    ReplyDelete
  11. aaaaaaaaaaah! the photo dint open for me! I am depressed now! Will come back again to drool at the pics which am sure will end up making me hungry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi divya, muleeku is something that i havent eaten in ages, I would love to give it a try too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is interesting. We make muleek using jackfruit 'phanas' and deep fry this. So many differnt names even within the konkani culture isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey the title got me curious...but unable to view the pic....:( i dont think i have tasted it....

    ReplyDelete
  15. talk about temple prasadams - i think i visit temples primarily for the delicious prasadams - the anjaneyar temple in naganallur, they serve such awesome prasadam :D - i have my cup and my husband's too!!! :D

    i can't see the pic either

    ReplyDelete
  16. yummy is the word. The smell and taste of prasadams is always so unique

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks divya...yes, i 'm able to view the pics :) it does resemble sukhiyan with ela ada stuffing!

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover