Monday, August 11, 2008

Mooga SaarUpkari~Moong Curry


SaarUpkari,as I've mentioned before is the easiest Konkani curry you can whip up.In fact,this one used to be my hubby's and his friends' staple when they were leading their bachelor lives,my hubby being the main cook.Its surprising actually to think of my hubby cooking,coz the only time he ever ventures into the kitchen now is when I am out of station or not well.I keep pestering him to cook up something for me..hope my wish comes true one day,;-).


I should give him due credit for giving me the recipe and proper instructions while making this though.SaarUpkaris are made using pulses,almost all of them.I feel this is the best way to introduce pulses in your daily menu as this requires very less effort to prepare and it is healthy too.While my google search for moong,I was quite surprised to see moong bean is widely used in Chinese cuisine!I have seen moong sprouts in noodles,but never knew it was part of their cuisine.

Mooga SaarUpkari tastes excellent with pej/kanji as well as with matta rice,for lunch.Hubby's friends liked it with puttu too,I have somehow not tried that combination as I have to have kadala curry with puttu and nothing else.

SaarUpkari goes to Srivalli's Curry Mela.

Mooga SaarUpkari

Ingredients

Moong bean/Payaru/Green gram - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Garlic cloves - 5-6,crushed
Red chillies - 2,broken into pieces

Method

Soak the moong beans for 3-4 hours.
Cook in a pressure cooker till done,it should not be mushy.
Add salt to taste.
In a pan,add oil and let it heat.
Add the crushed garlic and red chillies.
Stir for a while till the garlic gets cooked and evenly browned.
Add it to the moong and mix well.
Serve hot with rice,pej/kanji or puttu!!

10 comments :

  1. This looks easy and yummy... I must try it sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love saar upkaries but for some reason, I never had moong saar upkari - always had with masoor, chana, alsande etc... A must try with moong now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nic eone for the event ..looks ne wto me,..

    ReplyDelete
  4. quick and healthy recipe..yes moong bean especially the red beans id very popular in the chinese cuisisne..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this lovely one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh.. looks delicious.. never had this one. recipes looks easy

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks really interesting - thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cinnamon..thanks,it sure is very easy!!

    Meera..saarupkaries are the easiest to whip up.Do try next time with moog!!

    Priyanka..thanks!!

    Sowmya..thanks,I was so surprised to know that!!

    Srivalli..thanks to you!!

    Anjali..thanks.It is easy!!

    Miri..thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making this moong saar upkari today...Slurp!!:-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Divya,

    This recipe is a keeper. I will surely make it regularly. As I said before, I made curry leaves, hing fanna saar upkari with chana or masoor and lasoon fanna one with alsande. but for the first time , i made moong saar upkari with lasoon fanna and it was very delicious!! Thanks for sharing.. We enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover