Friday, May 9, 2008

Cream of Onion Soup-The healthier version

Soups are the best way to fill one's stomach when on a diet.No seriously,when you go to a function/party which is unavoidable and the food in the buffet table looks inviting but fat fat fatty..what to do?Catch hold of the biggest soup bowl available,load your bowl with soup and sip as slowly as possible.This is a foolproof way of going on with your diet and not letting anyone know about it.Even though soups served during these buffet dinners will be of cream types,you still can have it instead of the fatty foods.When my nutritionist told me I can have soups anytime of the day when I feel hungry,I was very happy.But all my hopes were crashed when she told me I can't have ready to eat soups(like Knorr,Maggi etc) nor can I have Sweet corn soups and the likes from restaurants.What can I have then..???Only Clear vegetable soups and once in a while Homemade Tomato soups.

I had no choice but to follow it to reach my target weight.Now that I have,I can make some changes here and there without being too lenient.I love cream based soups-Cream of Carrot,Mushroom,Onions,Sweet corn..the list is endless.I came across one such recipe of Cream of Onion soup,but when I went through the ingredients,it was disappointing-3 tbsp butter,1 tbsp cheese etc.But I was determined to make it somehow.I made few changes and came up with a healthier version of this soup,but tasty nevertheless.Do try it,shall post the original recipe and then the changes I made to make it healthier.

Cream of Onion Soup

Ingredients


Butter - 3 tbsp
Onions - sliced thinly-1 1/2 cup
Maida - 1 tbsp
Salt and pepper - to taste
Milk - 2 cups
Vegetable stock - 2 cups
Grated cheese - 1 tbsp
Parsley leaves chopped - to garnish

Method

Heat the butter and saute onions.
When it becomes slightly brown,add maida and salt,pepper to taste.
Mix well.
Add the milk and vegetable stock and cook till the onions soften and cook well.
When it starts thickening,switch off the flame and pour into individual soup bowls.
Garnish with grated cheese and parsley leaves.
Serve hot.

Changes I made

Instead of adding 3 tbsps butter,I added a mix of 1 tsp ghee and 1 tsp refined oil.
I diluted 1 cup milk with a cup of water and added to the soup instead of 2 cups of milk.
I did not add grated cheese for garnish at all.
I did not have parsley leaves,so avoided that too.
Do try out this healthier but tastier version for a change.

13 comments :

  1. Looks great divya...soups are so good right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divya, this soup looks delicccccccouuuuuus! Slurrrrrrrrrrrpppppp! :D All the best and may you achieve ur weight-loss target soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the recipe.. never thought of adding milk to the soup. should try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. u r right divya!!soups are best thing when on a diet.i love soups especially tomato.Can have that anytime :).This cream of onion soup looks awesome!!really healthy..will give a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!.... That was a excellent soup divya... Looks YUM!...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Srivalli,thank you.Soups ROCK!!!

    Purnima,thank you.I have reached my target weight,trying to maintain it now!!!

    Anjali,thank you!!

    Ranji,best way to beat hunger pangs..right??!!

    Sukanya,thank you!!

    Uma,thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. soups have been always a fav....and this version of urs looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks delicious Divya..easy to prepare with few ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  9. ur soup looks simple and yummy....will try it out soon..

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey ur a konkani?...me too.....nice to meet u and u look pretty tooo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bhags,thank you!!

    Divya,thank you,very less ingredients and quite easy to prepare!!

    Bhawna,thank you!!

    Suma,thank you.Yes,I am a Konkani too.Nice to meet you too!!

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover