Monday, April 28, 2008

Beetroot Salad

Salads have become an integral part of our meals these days.A cup of salad,a cup of upkari along with the side dish and 4 tbsp of rice,this has been my lunch since Jan08.I was never a vegetable/salad lover.Salad to me was a Cucumber-Onions-Tomato salad which I never liked.I liked raitas though.Cucumber,Tomato,Boondhi,Mixed raita and the rest.When I started having salads,I realized I have to come up with new ones or else dieting will stop mid way.Searched my recipe books,internet and all I could come up with was salads with ingredients which would cost me an arm and a leg.

At my place,in Ernakulam salads make their appearance only when the son-in-law comes.;-)I asked my ma-in-law for help.She said I can try this one if I liked Beetroot.I do not like beetroot nor do I like salads,I asked her for the recipe anyway.This one requires the beetroot to be cooked first and mixing up all the ingredients just before serving and to top it all,it was a cold salad.I decided to try it and was prepared to hate it even before tasting.I have to admit it tasted good.You don't feel like you are having a salad and getting all the benefits of the salad along the way..exactly what I wanted..So here's the recipe,try it out for a different salad..

Beetroot Salad

Ingredients


Beetroot - 1 medium sized
Onion - 1 medium sized,chopped finely
Green chilly - 1 chopped finely
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp,chopped finely
Salt to taste
Curds - 2-3 tbsp

Method

Cook beetroot in a pressure cooker till done.
Chop thinly into small pieces and keep in the fridge till serving.
Just before serving,mix the onions,chillies,coriander leaves,salt and curds and mix well.
Have with lunch or as a mid time snack.

2 comments :

  1. Wonderful, Divya, this indeed is new to me too-truly liked it n bookmarked for in-the-making!! My mil too made me like beetroot I wasn't much of a beet-person! :D (Digressing frm salad, coming to the lovely beet, I wd chop it into tiniest cubes, all was need was phanna - oil, rai, curryleaves, few red kashmiri chilies, then add beet, cover and cook wtout water, wd cook in its own steam, last stage add salt once its cooked!Truly delicious, brings out the sweetness and savoury taste together wt the teeksani lent by mirsaang!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. love thee..i sometimes just boil the beets n cut them n have it right away

    ReplyDelete

A blog is not complete without the readers feedback.Please let me know how you liked my post.Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Love,
Divya.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover